In this year of 40 and a new year and feeling energized by an anti-hangover shake, I want to share some hard-earned wisdom and observations. This as I understand it is one of the benefits of getting older, is that you can give people unsolicited advice. As far as any other benefits, we’ll keep an eye on that. Once we get new glasses.
In no particular order –
1. Life is too short to wear the wrong bra.
2. The non-acetone nail polish remover is bull***t. Just use the chemically acetone stuff and get it over with. Or, let your nails go natural, it’s all good.
3. Dance like everyone is watching, and you just don’t give a damn.
4. Two coats of mascara is always better than one.
5. If ordering a tropical or frozen drink and asked if you want a “floater,” always say yes. Always get the floater.
6. When you hear that little voice in your head that tells you you’re not good enough or you shouldn’t wear that or whatever, take that little voice out back behind the woodshed and beat the crap out of him.
7. Wear more hats.
8. Dog hair (and cat hair) is an acceptable accessory.
9. Spend more time playing and snuggling with dogs and cats – free/cheap therapy.
10. It’s ok to send Xmas presents in July.
11. Write thank you notes.
12. For some things, it’s not worth it to buy generic, like Q-tips. Treat yo’ self.
13. Always have an up to date passport. You never know when you’ll be offered a trip to Paris.
14. Don’t save your perfume for special occasions.
15. Always have a bottle of champagne chilling in the fridge. It can be the cheap stuff, but you never know when you will have the occasion to celebrate something.
16. Find more reasons to celebrate.
17. Give the homeless person on the corner the dollar. It doesn’t matter what he or she is going to do with it.
18. Invest in good eye cream, try to remember to use it twice a day. Sunscreen is your friend.
19. Be a port in the storm for someone.
20. Sing your lungs out in the car. Dance in your seat a little – or a lot. Scandalize someone at the stop light. Be a character in someone else’s story.
Add your own wit and wisdom – and have a super great year. Love you lots.